KU Medical School Review
KU Medical School is one of the best medical schools in the United States, ranking number 71 in the 2011 US World and News Report medical school rankings.
If you are interested in getting accepted to the University of Kansas medical school, there are a lot of things that you will
need to do to make you a competitive applicant. Probably the best resource to really
understand the KU medical school admissions process is my eBook, 10 Steps to Accepted. I draw from my experience on the UCLA admissions committee to tell you exactly what you need to do to get accepted to medical school.
Now back to information about KU medical school!
- Name: The University of Kansas School of Medicine
- Location: Kansas City, Kansas
- Public or Private: Public
- School Website: Click here
- Competitive. As with any of the best medical schools in America, KU medical school admissions are very competitive. There were 2,514 applications for the 91 available seats.
- Average MCAT: 30
- Average GPA: 3.77
- Selection Factors. The selection factors for KU medical school are very similar to those of other good medical schools and top medical schools in the US. They look for academic achievement, health care experience, and letters of recommendation, among others. Also, Kansas residents receive strong preference in receiving interviews and admission. If you are not a Kansas resident, you will need to demonstrate strong ties to Kansas. Click here for a detailed explanation of criteria schools are looking for. Click on these links to find out how to make these characteristics stand out on your interviews and personal statement.
- Multiple programs available. As other good medical schools do, KU Medical School offers various
combined degree programs for those interested. These include MD/MPH, MD/PhD, and MD/MHSA (Master of Health Services Administration)
- Accepts international students: No
- For full information from the admissions page, click here
- Tuition: KU medical school is $27,101 for KS residents/$47,521 for non-KS residents.
- Loans: Federal loans are available as with other US medical schools.
- Scholarships: As with other medical schools, there are not a lot of scholarships
available, and those that are available are need-based.
- Cost of Living: The cost of living is extremely affordable. You can find a good sized one bedroom apartment near campus for $400!
KU Medical School offers great programs and earns its title as one of the best medical schools in America. This is a great medical school if you are interested in primary care, as that is the main thrust of the school. However, they are highly ranked in research as well, so you can get solid training either way. If you are from Kansas or have strong ties to Kansas, this would be a great medical school for you.
Get Accepted to KU Medical School
The medical school admissions process can be very difficult. Getting into your best medical school is not something that you should leave to chance! This site is designed to help you get into the school of your choice, maybe that’s KU medical school! Check out my admissions page for understanding the admissions process. And, check out my eBook to understand exactly that it takes to be accepted!
Some students find it useful to employ a service to help them with getting into medical school. I offer editing services of your AMCAS and personal statement here. There are also many companies that will help you with this, but my recommendation is MedSchoolCoach.
MedSchoolCoach is run by doctors with experience on admissions committees. This makes a big difference as many companies are run by business people or others without this essential experience. They also have an excellent track record, placing 100% of students in an MD or DO program and 87% in an MD program for those who sign up for their gold package. They also offer help with personal statements , interviews and help on choosing which schools to apply to. They are the company I recommend.
I also like them because their prices are very affordable compared to other companies you could choose.Also, click here for current discounts from MedSchoolCoach. You can also request my services specifically. I’d be happy to work with you!