South Alabama Medical School – Insider Review
The University of South Alabama medical school is one of the medical schools in the South and one of the Alabama medical schools. To check out the other Alabama medical school, see my page on UAB medical school.
If you are interested in getting accepted to this Alabama medical school, there are a lot of things that you will need to do to make you a competitive applicant.
Probably the best resource to really understand the South Alabama medical school admissions process is my eBook, 10 Steps to Accepted.
I draw from my experience on the UCLA admissions committee to tell you exactly what you need to do to get accepted to medical school.
You can also check out my page on admissions to understand what South Alabama medical school is looking for
Now back to information about South Alabama medical school!
- Name: The University of South Alabama College of Medicine
- Location: Mobile, AL
- Public or Private: Public
- School Website: Click here
- Competitive.As with any of the Alabama medical schools,admissions are very competitive. There were 1,271 applications for the 74 available seats.
- Average MCAT: 30
- Average GPA: 3.8 (science 3.73)
- Selection Factors. The selection factors for South Alabama medical school are very similar to those of other medical schools in the South and Alabama medical schools. They look for academic achievement, humanitarianism, and diversity, among others. Also, as with other public schools, Alabama residents are given preference in admission. Out-of-state applicants are considered if they are from neighboring states, have a 3.6 GPA and 30 MCAT or above. Click here for a detailed explanation of criteria schools are looking for. Click on these links to find out how to make these characteristics stand out on your
interviews and personal statement.
- Multiple programs available. As other medical schools in the South, this school offers various programs for those interested. These include The DREAM program (for economically and educationally disadvantaged students), a baccalaureate/MD program and MD/PhD. The first two will be discussed below.
- Accepts international students: Yes (must have permanent resident status)
- For full information from the admissions page, click here
- Tuition: $24,077 for AL-residents/$47,727 for non-AL
- Loans: Federal loans are available as with other US medical schools. Click here to find out more about loans.
- Scholarships: This medical school in the South offers several scholarships that are both merit and need-based. Click here to find out more about scholarships.
- Cost of Living: The cost of living is pretty cheap in Mobile, which is a benefit of Alabama medical schools. You can expect to pay between $400 and $500 for a one bedroom apartment near South Alabama medical school.
South Alabama Medical School offers great programs and earns its title as one of the best medical schools in the South. This is a school that is committed to helping students from disadvantaged backgrounds, which is evidenced by their DREAM program. The MCAT and GPA for this school are slightly lower than other schools, which is a plus as well. As with other public schools, being an Alabama resident will help you here. So, South Alabama medical school would absolutely be a great choice for your medical education. If you are an Alabama resident you should absolutely apply here. Even if you’re not, you should seriously consider this one of the Alabama medical schools!
Get Accepted to South Alabama Medical School
The medical school admissions process can be very difficult. Getting into your best medical school is not something that you should leave to chance! This site is designed to help you get into the school of your choice, maybe that’s South Alabama medical school! Check out my admissions page to learn what it takes to be accepted.
Some students find it useful to employ a service to help them with getting into medical school. I offer editing services of your AMCAS and personal statement here. There are also many companies that will help you with this, but my recommendation is MedSchoolCoach.
MedSchoolCoach is run by doctors with experience on admissions committees. This makes a big difference as many companies are run by business people or others without this essential experience. They also have an excellent track record, placing 100% of students in an MD or DO program and 87% in an MD program for those who sign up for their gold package. They even guarantee acceptance with their Gold Package! They also offer help with personal statements , interviews and help on choosing which schools to apply to. They are the company I recommend.
I also like them because their prices are very affordable compared to other companies you could choose. Also, click here for current deals from MedSchoolCoach.
Check out my eBook