University of Oklahoma Medical School – Insider Review
The University of Oklahoma Medical School is one of the best medical schools in the United States and one of the medical schools in Oklahoma, ranking number 84 in the 2011 US World and News Report medical school rankings.
If you are interested in getting accepted to the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, there are a lot of things that you will
need to do to make you a competitive applicant.
Probably the best resource to really understand the University of Oklahoma medical school admissions process is my eBook, 10 Steps to Accepted.
I draw from my experience on the UCLA admissions committee to tell you exactly what you need to do to get accepted to medical school.
You can also check out my page on admissions to understand what the University of Oklahoma medical school is looking for.
Now back to information about this medical school in Oklahoma!
- Name: The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine
- Location: Oklahoma City, OK
- Public or Private: Public
- School Website: Click here
- Competitive. For this medical school in Oklahoma, medical school admissions are very competitive. There were 1,512 applications for the 164 available seats.
- Average MCAT: 30
- Average GPA: 3.75
- Selection Factors. The selection factors for the University of Oklahoma medical school are very similar to those of other good medical schools. They look for academic achievement, maturity and motivation, among others. Also, as with other public schools, Oklahoma residents are given preference in admission. Click here for a detailed explanation of criteria schools are looking for. Click on these links to find out how to make these characteristics stand out on your interviews and personal statement.
- Multiple programs available . As other good medical schools do, the Universtiy of Oklahoma medical school offers two combined degree programs for those interested. These are the MD/MPH and MD/PhD. There are also special interest programs described below.
- Accepts international students: No
- For full information from the admissions page, click here
- Tuition: The university of Oklahoma medical school is $19,120 for OK-residents/$44,816 for non-OK
- Loans: Federal loans are available as with other US medical schools. The school also offers a 5% interest rate loan up to $4,000 per year and a 5% loan for students interested in primary care. Click here to find out more about loans
- Scholarships: As with other medical schools in Oklahoma and elsewhere, there are not a lot of scholarships available, and those that are available are need-based. Click here to find out more about scholarships.
- Cost of Living: The cost of living is pretty cheap in Oklahoma, which is a benefit of medical schools in Oklahoma. You can expect to pay between $400 and $500 for a one bedroom apartment near the University of Oklahoma medical school.
The University of Oklahoma medical school seems like a no frills medical school. You’ll get a solid education and have opportunities to spread your wings in research if that’s your interest or in primary care if that’s your interest. As with any public medical school, if you’re from Oklahoma, it only makes sense to apply to the public medical school in Oklahoma. Make yourself a competitive applicant for this top medical school! (for more on that, check out my eBook ).
Get Accepted to the University of Oklahoma Medical School
The medical school admissions process can be very difficult. Getting into your best medical school is not something that you should leave to chance! This site is designed to help you get into the school of your choice, maybe that’s medical school in Oklahoma! Check out my admissions page for understanding the admissions process. And, check out my eBook to understand exactly that it takes to be accepted!
Some students find it useful to employ a service to help them with getting into medical school. I offer editing services of your AMCAS and personal statement here. There are also many companies that will help you with this, but my recommendation is MedSchoolCoach.
MedSchoolCoach is run by doctors with experience on admissions committees. This makes a big difference as many companies are run by business people or others without this essential experience. They also have an excellent track record, placing 100% of students in an MD or DO program and 87% in an MD program for those who sign up for their gold package. They also offer help with personal statements , interviews and help on choosing which schools to apply to. They are the company I recommend.
I also like them because their prices are very affordable compared to other companies you could choose. Also, click here for current deals from MedSchoolCoach.